Thursday, March 20, 2014

Tangy Avocado Deviled Eggs

http://becausechocolate.blogspot.com/p/recipes_9.html?recipe_id=6061543

I've been seeing pins of Avocado Deviled Eggs everywhere, so naturally I had to see what all the fuss was about.  I tried a few different recipes, since my husband requested that I make them four times in the last two weeks.  Deviled Eggs, being as endlessly adaptable as they are, left me plenty of room to exercise my creative freedom.  In the end, I decided to take my favorite flavors from each recipe and combine them into what you see here.  Fresh, tangy, Dr. Seuss lookin', super yum snackins' that are far healthier than my usual fare.

For the ultimate in healthful, fresh flavor, I use homemade mayonnaise.  It takes five minutes to make a jar that will last for two weeks.  You can use store bought mayo, but the finished product is not as tangy and delicious.  Plus, store bought mayonaise has disodium calcium EDTA in it, which is a salt form of ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid. The process of manufacturing this food ingredient starts with the synthesis of EDTA. Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid is made from the chemical reaction of ethylenediamine, formaldehyde, and sodium cyanide. The salt form of EDTA is synthesized by the addition of calcium and two sodium ions.  ...so regardless of whether or not the FDA says it's ok to munch on, I'm just going to take a pass for me and my family.  

Off my soap box and into the kitchen I go...

Mayonnaise Recipe

(Makes about 1 quart)

2 eggs 
1/2 TBS French Dijon mustard
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
1 TBS white vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups vegetable oil

In a one-quart canning jar, combine all of the ingredients except the oil.  Using an immersion blender with a whisk attachment, whisk until the mixture is completely combined.  Whisking continuously, pour the oil into the mixture in a very slow, steady stream.  Put a lid on the jar and store for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.  



Now that you've got that step out of the way...

Avocado Deviled Eggs

(Makes 24 deviled eggs)

1 dozen eggs
1 large avocado
1/4 cup (56 grams) mayonnaise
the juice of half a large lime (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp minced garlic

Paprika for sprinkling (optional)

Hard-cook your dozen eggs.  Once the eggs are completely cooled, peel them, and slice them in halves.  Place the whites of the eggs on a platter or in an egg container.

Place the egg yolks in a bowl, along with all the remaining ingredients (except the paprika) and mash, either with a fork or a potato masher.

Once the mixture is completely combined and fairly smooth, fit a decorating bag with a 1M tip.  Fill the bag with the avocado mixture and pipe into the egg whites.  Sprinkle with paprika for a little color.    
   

Now make sure you set aside a few for yourself, because these disappear fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment