Monday, August 11, 2014

Grand Marnier Plum Sorbet

http://becausechocolate.blogspot.com/p/recipes_9.html?recipe_id=6061546

This year our Shiro plum tree went crazy.  It's branches were so loaded down, I was at my wit's end to figure out what to do with them all.  A person can only eat so many plums, you know.  I couldn't stand the thought of making any more jam, since I'd just finished canning tons of raspberry and apricot jam, so naturally my thoughts turned to dessert.  Not just any dessert would do, though.  It's hot here.  Really hot.  It's supposed to be 103 degrees today.  Sorbet with a little something to take the edge off...  Perfect, says I. 

The best way I can describe this sorbet is that it tastes like a deliciously smooth margarita.  Only wayyyy better.  Way, way, better.  The Grand Marnier really brings out the flavor of the plums and though I'm not a fan of sorbet, or even plums to be honest, this recipe has changed my mind about both.  I'll be looking forward to plum season from now on--rather than begging people to come by and take them off my hands.

The recipe itself couldn't be simpler.  Pick about 8 pounds of plums and remove their pits (this should leave you with just about 5 pounds of pitted plums).  Yes, this is a total pain, worst part of the project.  I slice the plums in half and rip out the pits by hand.  If there's an easier way, please tell me in the comment section.


Grand Marnier Plum Sorbet 
(makes about 1 gallon and 1 quart)

5 pounds of yellow plums, pitted
1 1/2 cups organic evaporated cane juice (sugar)
1 cup water
1/2 cup Grand Marnier

Put the water and sugar in a stock pot and bring to a boil over medium high heat.  Add the pitted plums and cook for 6-8 minutes, until they are softened.  Remove from heat and place the pot in an ice water bath to cool the mixture quickly.  Add the Grand Marnier and then working in batches, puree the mixture in a blender until smooth.  Refrigerate until cold (overnight works best for me, I have patience issues).

Once the mixture is completely cold, process it in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.  I ended up using all three freezer bowls for my Cuisinart ice cream makers.  This recipe makes about a gallon and a quart of sorbet.  Store in the freezer, and try not to enjoy too much of it at once. 

*Printable Recipe*


No comments:

Post a Comment